Our Top Tips for Stylish Menswear
Over the years we’ve enjoyed many splendid days at the local Kelso races, we’ve turned out for Party in the Paddock, in March, and Ladies Day, in May.
Kelso is one of many racecourses around the country to host the National Hunt Season (October – May). Other notable venues for National Hunt ‘jump’ racing include Cheltenham, home to the celebrated Cheltenham Festival and Aintree, where the most famous race of all, the Grand National is staged.
Official dress codes for men are usually restricted to summer ‘flat’ racing in the UK. However, even during the winter months when attire is less formal, men are expected to dress smartly. So, to avoid being relegated to the ‘hasn’t a clue’ contingent we felt bidden to offer our tips for looking your best on race day.
1. Tweed will always be a winner at the bookies, the bar or the paddock at any ‘jump’ meeting. Practical and stylish, recently trends have taken tweed to bolder and brighter lands. The Bladen Tweed Sheringham Jacket is tailored from bespoke tweed chosen by our very own Archie, the pale tweed with pink and blue overcheck guarantees full marks for racing style.
2. A day at the races is an opportunity to try something a little less somber than the usual work attire – suits are certainly appropriate but choose a rich navy, or neutral tone. Pinstripes spell corporate and are best avoided. A blazer paired with lighter corduroys, chinos or moleskins also works well.
3. The emphasis is on fun, dressing up is not solely the preserve of the ladies, use a touch of flamboyant colour and combine with superb tailoring for the perfect race day look.
4. A flash of bold lining never goes amiss – with its burgundy satin lining this Midweight Sports Jacket by Magee has all the traditional country values with added flair.
5. Looking smart from head to toe is important, but don’t forget comfort. Making the most of race day means a lot of walking on varied terrain and the RM Williams Comfort Craftsman is, as the name suggests, a supremely comfortable, durable, dress boot.
As final word of advice on the subject of comfort, be sure your clothing fits well otherwise you will be unable to relax and enjoy the day. At A Hume we offer a free alterations service on all clothing, which we extend to our online customers. Just let us know your exact requirements when ordering and we’ll ensure your outfit fits like a glove.