Last Updated on June 6, 2022 by Rachel Thomson
We hope our guide on how to have the perfect picnic has inspired you to make some picnic plans. Here at A Hume we agree that the most important part of a picnic is the food. Whilst we thoroughly enjoy a humble sandwich our 3 mouth-watering recipes will add a little bit of unconventional flair to the treats you have to offer.
Curried Pineapple Chicken
A deliciously spicy yet fruity recipe which can be used as a sandwich filling or served along with a fresh salad. This recipe provides a good portion so depending on your picnic party size you may want to half the recipe.
1 whole cooked chicken diced
1 tablespoon curry powder
1 tablespoon tomato puree
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon marmalade
4 tablespoons salad cream
4 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 green pepper chopped
1 onion chopped
8oz can tinned chopped pineapple
1. Easy-peasy. Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl, cover with cling film and refrigerate or move to a sealed container.
If you are looking for something a bit different this recipe is a great alternative to sandwiches, and the great thing about wraps is they are less likely to go a bit soggy in your picnic basket. This recipe makes roughly 15 – 20 wheels depending how thick you cut them.
2 flour tortillas
20 slices of prosciutto
20 slices of pepperoni or salami
6 slices of provolone cheese
Roasted red pepper and sun-dried tomato spread:
150g Philadelphia cheese
25g parmesan cheese
50g sun-dried tomatoes
50g jarred red roasted peppers
1. To make the sun-dried tomato spread, finely chop the sun-dried tomatoes and red peppers and combine with the cream cheese and parmesan.
2. Spread half of the mix onto your first tortilla.
3. Down the middle of your tortilla place three slices of the provolone cheese.
4. Cover the tortilla with your pepperoni slices, followed by a layer of prosciutto and finally topped with lettuce.
5. Roll up tightly and refrigerate for roughly 1 hour. If you find your roll is unfurling you can hold it in place using toothpicks or wrap it in cling film until it has set in the fridge.
6. Slice into perfect picnic pinwheels.
Lemon and Coconut Slice
No picnic would be complete without a sweet treat. It is difficult to get this one right, you don’t want something that will melt, or is difficult to transport. That is why the traybake is the perfect indulgence.
64g unsalted butter
200g rich tea biscuits
200g condensed milk
72g desiccated coconut
Lemon juice and zest of one lemon
288g icing sugar
72g unsalted butter
4 tbsp lemon juice
3 tbsp desiccated coconut
1. Line a rectangular baking dish with baking paper.
2. Crush the rich tea biscuits or blend them for a finer crumb.
3. Combine the crushed biscuits with the desiccated coconut and lemon zest.
4. Melt the butter and mix it into the biscuit, coconut mix along with the condensed milk and lemon juice.
5. Press the mixture into the baking tin and refrigerate.
6. In a mixing bowl whisk together the icing sugar, butter and lemon juice, if it looks a little bit thick add some more lemon juice.
7. Spread the frosting over your biscuit base and sprinkle the remaining desiccated coconut over the icing and put back in the fridge for at least 4 hours to set completely.
8. Cut into slices and move into an airtight container.
We would love to see some photos of your perfect picnic parties so please share them with us using the hashtag #takemehome and if you know of anyone looking for some picnic food inspiration please share this post using the social buttons. Thank you.