At last the nicer weather has arrived, and as we leave Spring and look forward to Summer you can confidently start to wear your summer shoes, however, don’t overlook your fair-weather footwear when it comes to protection and care, they are still vulnerable to the elements. We have pulled together our top tips on caring for your deck shoes, loafers and suede shoes to keep them looking their best year after year.
Caring for Dubarry Deck Shoes and Loafers
Dubarry deck shoes are made using full cowhide leathers, which are specially treated to absorb less moisture and take 70% less drying time compared to other leathers.
To maintain the suppleness and water-resistance of your deck shoes, follow this easy seven step care guide, regularly:
- Rinse off saltwater and dirt immediately after every exposure as they are very corrosive to leather. Use clean, cold water and scrub with a soft brush to remove stubborn grime.
- Spray Dubarry Gel Footwear Cleaner all over your shoes. Scrub with a soft brush, working the cleaner well into the leather to remove any ingrained dirt. Do not be afraid to scrub vigorously to get a generous lather.
- Use cold water and a clean sponge to rinse off excess cleaner and lather from your deck shoes.
- Allow shoes to dry naturally and for at least 24 hours before further treatment. Do not leave near direct or artificial heat.
- Spray Footwear Protector all over your shoes, particularly to any suede or nubuck leather. Apply several thin layers, allowing each layer to absorb, before applying the next.
Nubuck and suede leather finishes should be treated with protector only.
- Leave your deck shoes to dry naturally for 2-3 hours.
- For deck shoes made with smooth leathers, apply Dubarry Footwear Conditioner to the smooth leather parts only. Rub in gently using a clean, soft cloth and pay attention to the flex area that bends as you walk.
Repeated wetting and drying of leather can lead to cracking so moisturising your deck shoes regularly is important. If your shoes are well-worn, we recommend applying Dubarry Leather Cream, this will help the natural leathers stay nourished, soft and water-resistant. Dubarry Leather Cream contains tea tree oil, beeswax, lanolin and emu oil to effectively preserve, protect and soften leather. Like the Leather Conditioner, it is designed for smooth leathers only and it is normal for the Leather Cream to cause lighter coloured leathers to darken in colour. Never use Leather Cream on suede or nubuck.
Renewing the colour of well-worn deck shoes
Dubarry deck shoes are made using the finest natural cowhide leathers, which naturally fade in colour over time. Although colour fading is a natural process, you can use Dubarry’s special Leather Colour Restorer to renew the colour to your deck shoes.
Caring for Fairfax & Favor Suede and Nubuck Shoes
Protect & Proof before stepping out
Treat suede using the Fairfax & Favor Suede and Nubuck Proofer spray before first wear and regularly, at least once a month. It gives your suede water-resistance, meaning water will run off the suede instead of soaking in, and helps to repel oil stains.
Treat your shoes by brushing off dry dirt and debris with a soft bristle brush and spraying the proofer about one foot (0.3 metres) away, applying one single layer to the entire shoe on all sides. Do not oversaturate the suede.
Leave to dry naturally for about 30 minutes.
Let any dirt on your suede shoes dry fully then brush off using a soft-bristle suede brush. Stubborn marks on suede can be removed with a leather stick or rubber suitable for suede.
We hope you found this post useful and will get lots of use out of your summer shoes, for more information please see our complete Dubarry and Fairfax & Favor Footwear Guides. If you liked this post please use the social buttons to ‘like’ and ‘share’ this post. Thank you.